Log lighters are one of the most common accessories in wood burning fireplaces. These additions allow homeowners to quickly and easily ignite their wood fires, reducing the need for kindling, stoking, and complicated wood stacking. However, log lighters can be damaged over time from overuse, being moved, or simple wear and tear. Damaged log lighters may need to be replaced if they cannot be repaired.
Benefits of a log lighter
Gas log lighters can be a beneficial tool when starting your wood burning fireplace. These following are five reasons to install a gas log lighter.
- Less mess: Starting with gas produces less mess than using paper, lint, small twigs, and other kinds of kindling.
- Easier to start: Gas log lighters make wood fires start easier, cutting down on the time it takes before you’re enjoying a roaring fire
- Improves efficiency: Using a gas log lighter can help improve the efficiency of your fire by helping wood burn more completely when it starts.
- Easy to install: In homes with an existing gas line, gas log lighters can be easily installed.
- Cost efficient: Because they run for a short amount of time, gas log lighters are an efficient and low cost way to start a fire.
Correctly using your log lighter
Log lighters are designed to run for less than ten minutes as they help start a wood fire. However, there are several tips and tricks to correctly using a log lighter.
- Make sure all soot and ash is removed from the fireplace before using. Leftover soot and ash from previous fires can block gas valves and prevent the log lighter from working.
- Light the match before turning on the gas. This prevents gas from building up in the fireplace which can lead to a mini-explosion.
- Use a long stem match. Place the lit match over a gas valve before slowly turning on the gas.
- Leave the gas on. Leave the log lighter on until the logs are lit and burning before turning it off.
Log lighter damage and replacement
Like any fireplace or chimney component, log lighters can be damaged. One common cause of damage is being moved out of place. Cleaning the firebox and placing logs can jostle and move the log lighter; this can cause it to not light properly and even leak small amounts of gas into your home. Log lighters can also be damaged by dropping logs, water damage in the fireplace, or by being clogged by ashes or soot.
Replacing log lighters is a relatively painless fireplace repair. However, because of the delicate nature of the gas connections it should be done by a professional. Having your log lighter professionally installed by a chimney technician can ensure the gas lines are correctly connected and no gas will leak through. Likewise, installed a new log lighter – especially if the old one has been malfunctioning – can make it easier than ever to light your wood fires.
Using a log lighter can make starting your wood burning fireplace faster and easier. However, log lighters may need to be replaced if they are damaged. If your log lighter needs to be replaced, contact New Buck Chimney Services today.