There are many ways to select a chimney sweep company: some people ask friends or neighbors for recommendations, some go with the first company that comes up in an internet search, while others find the company that offers the least expensive services. While all of these are legitimate ways to find a chimney sweep, they all leave out one important thing: a CSIA certification. Having a certified chimney sweep is important because it guarantees that you are getting a highly trained and qualified professional, not just some person with a truck, ladder, and broom.
What is a certified chimney sweep?
A Chimney Safety Institute of America certified chimney sweep has had to undergo rigorous education and testing in order to earn their certification. Some of the areas in which certified chimney sweeps are tested are:
- CSIA recommended safety techniques and practices
- Knowledge of a wide variety of chimney and fireplace construction and dynamics
- Building codes and standards for your local area
- How to install and maintain heating appliance such as stoves and fireplace inserts
- Current EPA requirements for heating appliances
In addition, to maintain their CSIA certifications, chimney sweeps must retest every three years. This ensures that they stay up to date with the latest techniques, technology, and safety advances in the industry.
What does a certified chimney sweep do?
A certified chimney sweep can do so much more than just remove the soot, ash, or creosote from your chimney. Because of their extensive training, they are often able to find or identify chimney and fireplace damage during an inspection of the interior and exterior of your chimney structure.
At New Buck Chimney Services, customers can expect the following services from their certified chimney sweep during a cleaning:
- A thorough scraping of the chimney cap
- A thorough brushing and scraping of the firebox
- A thorough brushing of the damper and smoke shelf
- A thorough brushing of the chimney liner
- A vacuuming of the smoke shelf
- A complete Level 1 Inspection
How to choose a chimney sweep
Finding a reliable, trustworthy, and knowledgeable chimney sweep company is often the most difficult part of chimney maintenance. However, the CSIA has provided consumers with a list of questions to ask potential chimney sweeps before hiring them. Asking questions like these ensures that you’re working with a certified professional.
- Can you provide references from current customers?
- How long have you been in business in the area?
- What is your rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Does your company or your chimney sweeps carry liability insurance?
- Will the chimney sweep who works on my home be CSIA certified?
Hiring a certified professional ensures that you’re trusting the care and maintenance of your fireplace system to a true professional. If you live in the Shreveport area, trust your chimney care to New Buck Chimney Services. We are the only CSIA certified chimney sweep company in the area with over twenty years experience, and looking forward to caring for your chimney!